Bob and Becky Titchenal, both native West Virginians, formed West Virginia Fruit and Berry in early 1995. We started growing berries in the Sun Valley area of Clarksburg, WV and then moved, in 1998, to a new farm location in Bridgeport, WV. It was our intent in the beginning to grow berries for West Virginia wineries, and then expand our ideas to introduce our own line of “Value Added” products.
The more we researched the potential of quality West Virginia food products for the specialty food market, the more we were excited by the potential of expanding WV agricultural production for the average family farmer.
We started marketing our WV Fruit and Berry products and continued to preach alternative sustainable agriculture for small family farms. This offers small family farms the potential of growing specialty crops such as fruits, berries, herbs, flowers and whatever the niche markets would demand, thus giving the farmers a chance for additional income from either selling what they grow or creating their own value added products. There is a need for small fruit growers in our state. We can help create a market for the fruits they grow. There is no doubt that we are finding a market for WV grown products, not only in this state, but in neighboring states as well.
Through mail order, our products have even found their way to the homes of people in Europe, the Far East and Asia. People of West Virginia are proud to share a piece of West Virginia through gifts to their friends all over the world. West Virginians, who are living all over the world, also crave a taste of the heritage of West Virginia.
In September of 2015, Bob and Becky announced that the company would celebrate their 20th Anniversary of marketing value added products for the state of West Virginia by adding a new line of fruit wines. Named and flavored from the same fruits and berries in our mouth-watering preserves, jams, jellies and fruit butters, we introduced four West Virginia Fruit and Berry fruit wines, which include Mountain Blackberry, Wild & Wonderful Raspberry/Luscious Cherry Blossom and Uncle Jake’s Elderberry Wine.
These Wines are now available in the states of WV, VA, MD, KY, NC, and D.C. where wines are sold. Ask for them by name, West Virginia Fruit and Berry, Fruit Wines!
Distributed by Northern Eagle and Mountain State Beverage in West Virginia…In VA, MD, DC and NC they are Distributed by The Country Vintner || In Kentucky they are distributed by Republic National Distributing Co.
AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS
West Virginia Fruit and Berry has been written up in several newspapers and magazines.
The following Publications have recognized us for our Agri-Tourism ideas at our farm as well as our Marketing Plan for our line of Fruit and Berry Products now available in over 200 Retail Outlets in the state and now expanding to out of state markets.
Following is a list of different publications that have featured our business or farm:
- The Clarksburg Telegram (Several Times)
- Bridgeport News The Charleston Gazette (Several Times)
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- West Virginia Wild and Wonderful Magazine
- The State Journal
- Country Living
Local and State Television Stations have featured us on special food or Agri-Tourism segments.
- WDTV-TV Weston/Clarksburg
- WBOY-TV Clarksburg/Fairmont
- WCHS-TV Charleston
Awards we have received in the past include:
- Appreciation and dedication to Harrison County
- Dec. 2002 from the Harrison County Development Authority
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Oct. 9, 2001 by the Upper Monongahela Valley Score Chapter #537
- A Proclamation was presented us by The County Commission of Harrison Co.
- Naming August 1st 2000, “West Virginia Fruit and Berry Day” in our Harrison Co.
- 55 Best Things in West Virginia
- Named one of the 55 Best Things in WV May-June 2008 in “The State Journal”, newspaper in Charleston, WV.
- Top 50 Gifts from Each State for 2012
- Named the Best Gift in WV in October Issue of “Successful Meetings Magazine”.
- SCORE and Sam’s Club Holiday Program in December 2012:
- Named one of two businesses in WV chosen for this award, we were one of 102 beneficiaries from every state in the USA. Won $1,000.00 cash award and a trip to attend the SCORE Small Business Educational Event that took place January 23-24 in Dallas, TX. Business Educational Event that took place January 23-24 in Dallas, TX.
Through our travels to market and taste our products at different fairs, festivals and special events we have enjoyed numerous awards in the Best of Taste category from:
- Mountaineer Week in Morgantown, WV
- The Buckwheat Festival in Kingwood , WV
- The Mountain State Heritage Arts and Crafts Show in Harpers Ferry, WV to name a few……
Other Festivals we have attended are:
- Uniquely West Virginia, Berkeley Springs, WV
- The Augusta Festival in Elkins, WV
- The Stonewall Jackson Heritage Arts and Craft Show, Lewis County
- Oglebay holds 4 festivals per year and we attend all of them, Wheeling, WV
- The Dogwood Festival in Huntington, WV
- The Mountain State Apple Harvest Festival in Martinsburg, WV
- Fire on the Mountain/Chili Cook off, Snowshoe Mt., Snowshoe, WV
- The Metropolitan Cooking & Entertaining Shows in DC & VA
- The Virginia Show Production Shows/ Spring and Christmas in Richmond, VA
- Events Management Group, Inc. Shows in Virginia Beach, VA
- The Merchandise Mart Christmas Show in NC with the WV Dept of Agr.
- Bodacious Bazaar, Hampton VA
- Many others…..
West Virginia Fruit and Berry has had a consistent, high quality, all natural product line for 23 years. Kroger, our largest food chain in WV, has been a supporter since 1997. We have many grocers, gift shops, state parks, restaurants and B&B’s in West Virginia that have supported us from the beginning. You’ll find them on our website or by clicking “Where to Buy” at the top of this site.
West Virginia Fruit and Berry has become known for its premium quality fruit and berry products through sales from our booths at the wonderful fairs and festivals in West Virginia. With the introduction of our NEW line of Fruit Wines, Bob and Becky have begun to focus on our expansion into the commercial retail chain markets and big box stores, such as Kroger, Shop N Save, Riesbeck’s and Sam’s Club, to name a few.
We have not scheduled any Fairs and Festivals to attend personally this year. However, we will continue to support this wonderful resource and will have our products represented through the support of family and friends who continue work in these events. So, you may find our products along your journey throughout the region. Our endeavor is to make our products more readily available to you, our loyal customers.
Events such as Wine Tastings, Product Demonstrations, Food Shows and Fairs and Festivals will be listed on the “Upcoming Events” section of our homepage. You may also choose to purchase by supporting your favorite organizations through fundraisers. Check out our Corporate/Fundraising page for more information.